Thursday, July 19, 2007

ullangoo wrote today at 1:16 AMAs I said above: "I have a headache" can't be verified by others. Still all logicians agree that the statement is either true or false - ordinary common sense says the same. I see no reason to claim otherwise.

ullangoo wrote today at 3:54 AMThere are what I call the personal truths. E.g. meditation may be the right thing for you but wrong for me. Therefore, "meditation is the right thing" is a meaningless statement - "right thing" is unqualified and undefined. The majority may hold that it is the right thing - but it could still be wrong for me. We can't take a vote on truths whether they are personal/subjective or objective.


ullangoo wrote today at 4:04 AMThe "self-evident truths" of your declaration are opinions. They are ethical statements. Now, there MAY be an ethical system that is true in the absolute sense - I won't rule it out - but if there is, we don't know how to identify it (yet). We have to live with the existence of several and hopefully learn tolerance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home